Saturday, May 7, 2011

Summer Sewing Classes

I finally got my act together and organized summer sewing classes.  I have wanted to do it for years, but had added motivation this year because my daughter needed a way to earn money for summer camp.  (Yep, I'm the kind of parent that makes my kids earn their money even if it means driving paper route for years, and putting together sewing classes.) 

It has taken lots of planning to get things finalized, but I finally got the flyers sent out this weekend!  Yeah.

Our Mondays in June will be organized into 3 different sewing classes.

An 1 1/2 hour Hands Sewing class for kids under 10

a 2 1/2 hour Mini-projects class for kids from 10 to teens



and a 2 1/2 hour Apparel class for ages 10 to teens.


I have been collecting project ideas for months.  I've been looking for things that would work in a group setting, and that the kids would think were cute and that would be finishable in 2 1/2 hours.  (I even timed two of my kids making one of the projects to check on the timing!) 

After going back and forth for weeks, I finally had to narrow things down.  Sometimes my problem is too much information.  How do you pick from multiple cute projects?

Here are some of my favorites:


A classic fabric banner that can be used for everything-
room Decoration to party decoration


Barnyard finger puppets


covered mini-notebooks


Zippered pencil bag or a sewing pouch

I  also found some really great sewing books out there, that I will talk about in a future post, that have been super helpful. 

I have no idea what to expect this first year, but I am getting excited for June.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so fun. I would love to teach a sewing class for kids. How is your daughter doing this to earn money, is she teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will be my assistant. She has made or will make all of the projects, so she will know how to make them. Then she will help out as needed.

    ReplyDelete